It happened again. You meant to plan your family's summer vacation getaway. It seemed like you had plenty of time. But now you find yourself in a sticky situation: no vacation has been planned or booked and your kiddos (and husband) are chomping at the bit for a summer adventure.
Don't worry, though; there are still options.
We've gathered together a few ideas to help you start your last-minute vacation planning.
Check out online travel & booking sites.
You could spend hours Googling vacation ideas, or you could start with trusted travel fare aggregators and search engines like Expedia and Kayak.
- Expedia.com always advertises last-minute deals on cruises, flights (sometimes as low as $99), hotel rooms (like $79), and package deals. Look for their summer sales and zero hour deals.
- Kayak.com allows you to plug in your budget and see how far you can go on it, plus you'll get destination suggestions and prices. Super helpful, right? They also have a feature that allows you to compare their prices with other travel sites' prices, particularly Orbitz, Travelocity, and Priceline.
Using these online tools, you can find hotels and attractions near you as well as great deals at places and destinations you may never have considered.
Sometimes last-minute planning has its perks.
There's always room at Colonial Williamsburg.
Mix vacation with education by taking a visit to Colonial Williamsburg in Eastern Virginia. Stay at Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel & Suites or Williamsburg Lodge, and your kids can stay and eat for free. During your vacation you can enjoy golf at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club, tennis at the Williamsburg Inn Tennis Club, a tour of the Revolutionary City, art museums, great restaurants, and more.
Customize your trip with tailored-to-you ticket options and hotel packages, plus take advantage of existing trip itineraries. Get started now.
Stop and smell the chocolate in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
There's a ton to do in Hershey. You can—
- Take a Hershey Trolley Works Trolley Tour of the sweetest-smelling town on earth.
- Wonder through ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park.
- Enjoy a day at Hersheypark (there are 13 coasters, a ton of rides for all ages including a brand new ride this year, and water fun at The Boardwalk).
- Find out how Hershey's chocolate is made by visiting Chocolate World and taking a tour ride (you get a free piece of their signature milk chocolate at the end!).
- Discover the whole story of Milton Hershey and his famous candy company at The Hershey Story Museum.
- Stay in a posh hotel, local budget inn, or Hersheypark Camping Resort.
Use this trip planner to plan your stay.
See many famous monuments and museums in Washington, D.C.
One of the most visited cities in the USA, Washington, DC offers a variety of interesting experiences, from learning about American history and government to seeing many of the most iconic sights in the country. There are many free events and festivals happening all the time, plus 14 free Smithsonian Museums (including the National Zoo!), and more than 99 free things to do in D.C. during the summer.
Discover more about D.C. and why it makes a great—and affordable—summer vacation.
Think winter in summer.
Winter resorts like Liberty Mountain Resort (PA), Massanutten Resort (VA), Roundtop Mountain Resort (PA), Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort (WV) make for refreshing summer escapes. They're cooler than sweltering amusement parks, have fun summer activities like mountain biking, paintball, tubing, & golfing, and are relatively uncrowded. Often during the warm months, they host seasonal activities, festivals, and concerts. You'll find that winter resorts have great deals to attract more visitors during their "off season."
Rest up and have fun at Sandy Cove's all-inclusive summer vacation experience.
Have you ever gone on a vacation that refreshed you physically, mentally, and spiritually? If not, Sandy Cove Family Camp will do exactly that—it will refresh your whole being!
Our Family Camp is programmed intentionally to help your family connect with God and each other. It’s 5 nights for your family to get away and enjoy a purposeful and fun getaway together.
We're located on the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay, so our location is not only beautiful, but we can offer many fun water activities on the bay. Prefer swimming in a pool, climbing a rock wall, flying down a zip line, or taking your time putting through a mini golf course? There's all that—and so much more.
Lodging, food, activities, and sessions with guest speakers are included in one family-friendly price. If you're a first-timer, take advantage of our 50% off deal—all the fun, hotel-style lodging, and meals for just $360 per person! Talk about a GREAT last-minute bargain!
P.S. See it for yourself! Here's a week of Family Camp in 25 photos.